Thursday, July 17, 2008

Deeper Truths

As some of you may already know, I am training for my very first adventure race. What is an adventure race you ask?

Well it is a 12 hour or more trek across barren desert on a mountain bike and whatever is on your feet. The event is mixed in with bouts of swimming and kayaking. This is not a solo sport - you have team members, navigation skills, and immense strategy.

My realization that I want to share with you this week is that I fell into the trap of telling others about the adventure race because it would feed my ego. In fact, whenever I told somebody I was going to do this race, I emphasized how little I knew about it, thereby magnifying the WOW factor of actually doing it.

My dear guide Carrie and my lovely fiancee Jaime turned the mirror quickly in my face and made me ask myself, why am I doing this race? Why would I want to push myself so hard? Is it all just for momentary admiration or is there something deeper?

I realized there is greater depth in doing this race but I let ego take over for a while - like a cloud obscuring the true radiance of the sun. I realized that I really do love to explore, mountain bike and be in nature. That is the reason I am doing this race.

So... I leave you with this thought. What do you brag about, boast about, talk about repeatedly that is merely a way to reinforce your ego? Your sense of status, achievement, power? And then... what is the true motivation behind those activities? You may discover something quite sincere, quite true, yet covered by a different (and false) story.

Happy Uncoverings,
Alvin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sn't that so true - That totally comes up with me and skydiving - like it makes me interesting or cool somehow - but I really love flying - there is nothing like the freedom and surrender of free fall - Sharing that with someone would actually invite them to imagine for themselves what that would feel like and what it would make available.
Right on Alvin - I can't wait to hear how the race goes - I have a girlfriend who has done a few races and she says they are awesome and quite the unique experience!
Have fun

Anonymous said...

Your endurance and experience through this challenging course would give us new inspiration. I look forward to hear more from you.